Saturday, May 27, 2017

Why Learn Pascal?

I purchased a copy of Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization & Machine Learning by David E. Goldman (1989).  The book has sample code in Pascal.  This is where Free Pascal comes in.  When I coded last in Pascal it was with Turbo Pascal and I enjoyed it much more than coding in C.  (I mentioned Free Pascal back in December 22, 2012 in this post:  Learning to Program with Pascal.)

If you go to the Free Pascal website and look at their documentation you can see there is a great deal of documentation and that Free Pascal is now an object oriented language.  You can download a  copy of the language (free under the GNU General Public License).  My complaint against the Genetic Algorithms book by Goldman is not that pascal is used, but that there is no license.  I have looked at the book and there is no license that permits you to use the code.  So if I typed up the code and posted it online at Sourceforge or Git Hub I would be violating copyright law, so I cannot share the code.  And the code is not available online.  You have to type the code yourself.  There was an operating systems textbook for an OS called Xinu that had a statement from the author that the code could be used and I saw people use this OS professionally, typing the code from the book.

Criticisms against Pascal being old are misguided.  The Scheme programming language is old, but it is a great educational language.  The book Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold Abelson et al is a great book to study.  The Scheme programming language is also free.

So do not hesitate to get the book Genetic Algorithms by Goldman because the code is in Pascal.  Pascal is a nice language worth knowing and Free Pascal can be used to run the code in the book.

Robert Canright

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments require my approval before they appear. Be patient. It will take a day or two for your comment to appear.