Saturday, June 22, 2013

ArgoUML - Free UML Drawing Tool

UML diagrams are vital for documenting code.  I have used and I recommend the free diagramming tool called ArgoUML.  I have used ArgoUML 0.34 for Windows.  You can download it from here:
http://argouml.tigris.org/

ArgoUML does more than create diagrams for documentation.  You have to export your diagram to a picture file to have pictures for documentation.  Then you might have to crop your image.  I use Gimp to crop pictures.. ArgoUML can generate code from your diagrams.  It supports code generation for these programming languages: C++, C#, Java, PHP4, PHP5.


For large projects, or for professional projects, I recommend buying Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect.  The last time I looked it was $135 for an individual license.  Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect will generate C++ code for you from the class diagrams, which pays you back for the effort of creating detailed documentation.  I have used this at a customer site and was very impressed.  I highly recommend this professional tool.

Here is their website:
http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/
They are an Australian company.

Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments require my approval before they appear. Be patient. It will take a day or two for your comment to appear.